En español | Soccer — or fútbol, as it is known globally — is the world's most popular sport, one that thrills an estimated 4 billion fans worldwide. For many devotees it would be a dream to be a professional soccer player for a day. And for 25 lucky winners (and their guests) AARP is about to make that fantasy a reality.
AARP has partnered again with Major League Soccer for the 3rd annual Fantasy Fútbol Camp Contest. Lovers of the game get a chance to win an on- and off-field experience with trainers and assistants of the LA Galaxy and Houston Dynamo and scrimmage on the official fields like a pro.
"Families connect and are united around soccer,” says Luis Campillo, an AARP regional manager for Los Angeles in the California state office. “It is a cross-generational activity — especially being in the field and having parents, siblings or cousins support you — and a powerful connector for Latinos and many other communities.
Campillo says that the first two camps were intergenerational with fathers joining sons on the field, brothers teaming with sisters and married couples sharing the fun together. “They all do it because they love the sport and whether they are playing themselves or cheering on the sidelines it is an experience that bonds them together."
Entering is easy. Simply tell us how you, a friend, or family member's life, family and community has been impacted by the game of soccer. Nominations are now open at the official contest site and will be accepted through July 14.
The 10 LA Galaxy winners along with their guests, will win a prize package that includes:
- One (1) 90-minute experience on field (training, drills, scrimmage) led by LA Galaxy team assistants and/or Academy coaches at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sept. 14, 2019.
- Tour of locker room and training facilities at Dignity Health Sports Park
- Lunch prepared by first team chef
- Customized LA Galaxy uniform (socks, shorts and jersey)
- LA Galaxy gift bag
- Four (4) tickets to the LA Galaxy home match on Sept. 15, 2019, including pregame recognition
The 15 Houston Dynamo winners and guests will receive:
- One (1) 90-minute experience on field (training, drills, scrimmage) led by team coaches at BBVA Compass Stadium on Aug. 13, 2019.
- Tour of locker room and training facilities at BBVA Compass Stadium
- Reception in the Audi Sports Club
- Customized Houston Dynamo uniform (socks, shorts and jersey)
- Houston Dynamo gift bag