The United States men’s soccer team didn’t qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, but you can nonetheless expect a wave of infectious enthusiasm for the sport to sweep across the country as the international event plays out over the next month.
And if you’re a soccer fan who lives near Los Angeles and knows someone who loves the beautiful game, we want to hear from you. AARP is partnering with Major League Soccer’s LA Galaxy to offer 10 lucky fans the chance to live the life of a pro soccer player for a day. The second annual AARP/LA Galaxy Fantasy Futbol Camp will take place Oct. 13 at StubHub Center on the same pitch where the Galaxy train and play their home games.
Last year's inaugural camp featured more than a dozen players. Watch some of their stories below.
Nominations are now open at the official contest site and will be accepted through Aug. 31. The 10 winners, along with the people who nominated them, will win a prize package that includes:
- Customized LA Galaxy uniform (socks, shorts and jersey)
- One day of professional training by LA Galaxy first-team assistants and/or its youth academy coaches
- Tour of the locker room and training facilities at StubHub Center
- Lunch with fantasy camp coaching staff prepared by a first-team chef
- LA Galaxy gift bag
- Four tickets to an LA Galaxy home match, including pregame recognition and viewing of pregame warm-up from the field
You must be 21 or older and a resident of California to be selected. Read the contest official rules.
The experience will be free for the winners and the sponsors. As a point of reference, the Galaxy offers a three-day fantasy camp for adults 18 and older that includes instruction and many of the same perks as the contest prize package. Tuition for that camp runs $1,000 per session. Learn more about the LA Galaxy fantasy camp here.