You may be wondering if you can sign up for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace after the open enrollment period closes. The answer is yes. The marketplace is open if you have a qualifying “life event”. Here are some examples.
- Lose coverage: If you have coverage through your work but then lose your job, change jobs to one without health insurance, or your employer stops your coverage, you can buy a plan through the marketplace within 60 days of when you lost your insurance coverage.
- Turn 26: If you have coverage under your parents’ plan but turn 26, you can get coverage through the marketplace within 60 days of your birthday.
- Have a baby: If you have a baby or adopt or foster on, and don’t have health insurance that covers dependents, you can get coverage for the child through the marketplace within 60 days of his or her arrival.
- Move to a new location: If you lose your health insurance coverage because you move to a new area with different plan options, you can get or change coverage through the marketplace within 60 days of your move.
- Get married: If you or your new spouse needs health insurance, you can get coverage through the marketplace within 60 day of your wedding.
- Become divorced or widowed: If you lose your coverage because of a divorce or death, you can get coverage within 60 days of when your coverage stops.
- Change income: If you lose eligibility for Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you can get coverage in the marketplace. If you have coverage through the marketplace and gain or lose eligibility for financial assistance to help pay for your coverage, you can change plans.
If you are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP or are a member of an American Indian tribe, you can sign up at any time.
Some life events can change how much financial help you can get. It’s important to report life events to the marketplace right away.
For more details about special enrollment options for the marketplace, go to www.healthcare.gov or contact the Marketplace Call Center at 800-318-2596 (TTY 855-889-4325).
The next marketplace open enrollment period — when you can enroll or change plans — starts Nov. 15, 2014 and ends Feb. 15, 2015.
You May Also Like
- Affordable Care Act gives workers new mobility
- 10 budget-friendly trips for 2014
- Help bring relief to struggling seniors; find volunteer opportunities near you
Visit the AARP home page every day for great deals and for tips on keeping healthy and sharp