Jose Luis Pelaez, Inc./CORBIS
Need help understanding the new health care law? The AARP Healthcare Information Team, along with other organizations and agencies statewide are helping older Utahns become better informed about the law.
Our team has been speaking to groups around the state about the changes now in place and those coming up. If you would like an AARP Healthcare Information Team member to come to speak to your group or organization, please call us at 1-801-567-2652.
As the new health care reform package continues to roll out older Americans have a lot at stake. AARP Utah is working to insure that our members and all Utahns have straightforward, reliable information to enable them to make the best decisions for themselves and their families.
Get the Facts on AARP.org. There you will find many, easy-to-download fact sheets on numerous aspects of the law.
Here are just some of the features of the law that may be of interest to you:
- The new reforms will strengthen and improve Medicare by protecting guaranteed benefits, close the dangerous coverage gap in prescription drug benefits known as the “donut hole,” and provide new preventative benefits like cancer screenings at no cost.
- The reforms will offer all Americans access to affordable insurance plans that offer quality coverage, and will crack down on the abusive insurance industry practices that deny people affordable coverage based on age or pre-existing health conditions.
- The law will also improve access to the long-term care services and will help millions of Americans remain in their homes instead of more costly care settings. It will also provide new options for people to plan ahead for their long-term care expenses.
- The new law will benefit Americans who are 50-64 in a number of ways. It will make it easier to get coverage, and will help the coverage to be more affordable.
- The law also aids small business owners and supports early retirees.
- And beginning this year, young adults up to the age of 26 may be able to be included on their parents’ insurance policy.