The following action items can help you assign tasks, schedule timelines, establish deadlines and monitor progress on a variety of fronts. Although the list suggests sequential actions, many of the tasks will overlap each other.
Before the First Session
- Select a person to lead the event.
- Pick a name for the event.
- Issue a public challenge.
- Recruit a core team of volunteers to produce the event.
- Create a vision for the event, establish goals and determine measurements for success.
- Determine start date, length of program and weekly schedule, including meeting time.
- Develop a budget and secure funding.
- Begin a promotional campaign including flyers and posters and seek endorsements.
- Create a Web site where information can be updated and distributed.
- Reserve a venue and make arrangements for parking.
- Solicit prizes and awards.
- Interview, select and schedule presentations.
- Plan an opening event and a celebration closing event.
During the Sessions
- Establish a reporting system.
- Manage media contacts.
- Establish a communication network for volunteers.
- Videotape sessions for release to media.
- Update the Web site.
- Arrange for interviews with participants at the request of media.
- Plan programs including feedback, participants’ experiences and opportunities to add new members.
After the Last Session
- Acknowledge and thank participants and volunteers.
- Distribute evaluations.
- Critique and celebrate results.
- Write articles for local media related to fitness as part of the follow-up.
- Encourage continuing participation in fitness programs.
- Update the Web site and keep it fresh and new.
- Organize future fitness events.
For a complete list of tasks along with sample forms, job descriptions and detailed procedures, consult "The Fat to Fit Meltdown Manual" (Hound Press, 2008).
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This