In 2013, AARP and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) signed a five-year Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for the purpose of building a strong relationship around collaboration and communications in preparing older Americans for a natural disaster. As part of this effort, AARP is raising awareness of the opportunity to join FEMA’s Individual Assistance Reservist Cadre and help disaster survivors recover.
FEMA Reservists serve the nation by helping during disasters. They assist in the coordinated response and recovery efforts of impacted citizens, communities, and local, tribal and state governments. Deployments to disasters occur within the U.S. and its territories.
FEMA is looking for temporary intermittent employees to fill this position, which is being announced under FEMA's Reservist Program. This is a two-year appointment in the Excepted Service. Employment is on an intermittent basis with a salary range from $12.30 to $16.14 per hour.
- Communicate directly with disaster survivors to discuss case status and provide clarification with the assistance process and disaster assistance programs.
- Verify applicants’ information for disaster assistance.
- Provide customer service to disaster survivors, regional staff, community and others.
- Thoroughly review issues to be addressed in order to assist disaster survivor.
- Review disaster assistance needs, prepare supporting documentation and forward to supervisor for further action.
- Provide applicants with appropriate referrals to other federal, state and local agencies, voluntary organizations and faith-based organizations.
- Verify applicant’s cases that are referred to Individual Assistance Program. Refer individual applicant for further case inquiries.
- Request and review additional information and/or documentation from the applicant and verify information is complete and appropriate.
- Provide information regarding Individual Assistance programs to internal and external partners.
- Review cases and identify issues that need to be addressed.
To apply, please email your résumé to IAfirstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to email questions as well.