Yields 6 portions
Broth and rice
- 2 pounds catfish, cut in 3-inch chunks
- 2 pounds fresh whole shrimps, including heads and shells
For broth only
- Catfish head and bones
- 6 cups water
- 1 small Spanish onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 carrot, cut in 1-inch slices
- Salt to taste
For rice only
- 4 cups of ready-made fish stock
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 1 Roma tomato, grated
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Photo by: Marisa Zanganeh
- In a deep pot, boil catfish head and bones in water. Add onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Peel and clean shrimp. Set aside shells and heads, and peeled shrimps in separate bowls.
- Crush shrimp heads and shells using a mortar and pestle to release their juices, and add to broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and boil at low heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Strain liquid and discard remaining ingredients. Keep warm.
- Pour broth back into pot. Add potatoes, carrots and salt to taste. Cook at medium-low heat for approximately 10–12 minutes, until potatoes are cooked, but firm (al dente).
- Season fish with salt and pepper and add to broth. Cook for 8–10 minutes at medium-low heat. When cooked, remove fish, carrots and potatoes from stock and place on a tray.
- Heat oil in a paella pan or deep skillet at medium-high heat. Sauté shrimps and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, sauté onion, garlic, tomato and paprika for 4 minutes. Add rice and mix so as to blend all seasonings. Add fish stock and cook at medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 10–12 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Serve on a tray, along with a separate tray of fish, shrimps, potatoes and carrots. Add aioli over rice.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This