En español | Yields 6 portions
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut in medium-size pieces
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut in medium-size pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons achiote (annatto) powder
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 carrots, cut into thin slices
- 7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ Spanish onion, cut into thin slices
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
- ½ yellow pepper, seeded and cut into slices
- 3 celery sticks, cut into thin slices
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, cut into thin slices
Utensil: one glass pan
Photo by Marisa Zanganeh
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, achiote and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
2. Pour vinegar and chicken broth in a medium pan and add thyme, oregano and bay leaves. Cook at medium high heat until half a cup of the liquid evaporates (approximately 6-8 minutes).
3. In a deep pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil at high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the flavors are sealed.
4. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the heat and place it in the glass pan. Place onion and carrot in the same pan in which the chicken was cooked and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. Add a pinch of salt to draw out the onion juices. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute while stirring.
5. Add bell peppers, celery and jalapeño. Mix and cook for 1 to 2 additional minutes. Pour the vinegar mixture on the vegetables and mix. Cook 1 more minute. Adjustseasoningwithsalt and pepper. Pour vegetables and vinegarmixture over the chicken.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for a minimum of 15-20 minutes at room temperature or up to 8-10 hours in the refrigerator. The longer it marinates, the better it tastes.
Note: Escabeche keeps well. It may last up to a week in the refrigerator.
You may also like: Chicken fricasse with plums and raisins.