Yields 6 servings
- 1-3 pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium onion, cut into small cubes
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seedless, cut into small cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, 1 cut into small cubes; 1 sliced
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and cut: 1 into small cubes, 1 in thin slices
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup (4 ounces) Chardonnay wine
- 1 cup (8 ounces) commercial chicken broth
- 5 small red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 7 dried plums (prunes), pitted, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 scallions, for garnish, finely chopped
1. Place chicken in a plastic or glass pan and sprinkle thoroughly with lime juice. Dry with paper towel. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add oil and sugar to a heated heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook at medium-low heat until sugar starts to caramelize.
3. Add chicken pieces and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side.
4. Add onion, tomato, chopped garlic, cubed carrots, cubed celery, thyme, bay leaf and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add wine and let the alcohol evaporate at medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Add chicken broth, cover and cook for 10 additional minutes. Adjust seasoning.
6. Add potatoes, prunes, carrots, celery and raisins. Mix and cook for 10 minutes. Serve in a casserole dish and garnish with scallions.
You may also like: Pastel Azteca with chicken.