Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.
March 23, 2011
Grapes and Shrimp With Honey
Adapted from How to Cook Indian, by Sanjeev Kapoor
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
24 large red seedless grapes
16 jumbo shrimps (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Combine the honey, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until bubbly and thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the red pepper flakes. Keep warm.
2. Starting and ending with a grape, alternately thread grapes (3 in total) and shrimp (2) on each skewer. Sprinkle with the remaining salt.
3. Brush a large nonstick grill pan or cast-iron skillet with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Place the pan over medium-high heat until it is very hot but not smoking. Arrange the skewers in the pan and cook, basting with the remaining oil and turning frequently, until the shrimp are cooked on all sides, about 4 minutes.
4. Transfer the skewers to a serving platter. Drizzle with the sauce and serve hot.
Nutrients per serving (2 skewers): 210 calories, 9g protein, 34g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 4g fat, 64mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium
Ginger and Chili Chicken With Basil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 dried red chilis
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons honey
3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
12 to 14 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Thinly sliced, peeled ginger, for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, mix the cornstarch and water into a paste. Add the chicken pieces and toss well to coat.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it is cooked through and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the chilis and minced ginger and stir-fry for another minute.
4. Stir in the honey, soy sauce and vinegar and cook for 1 minute or so, until the sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and heat through, about 30 seconds.
5. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the basil and sliced ginger.
Nutrients per serving: 255 calories, 26g protein, 14g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 10g fat, 66mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium
Chicken and Edamame Stir-Fry
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup diced baby corn
2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 cups steamed white rice
1. Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat and pour in the oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir-fry for about 3 minutes, until the chicken is almost cooked through.
3. Add the sugar, garlic, five-spice powder, edamame and ginger, and stir-fry for 3 minutes more, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn't burn.
4. Add the teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds, corn and scallions. Continue to stir and toss until everything is evenly coated with the sauce and heated through. Serve hot over steamed rice.
Nutrients per serving: 407 calories, 26g protein, 34g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 18g fat, 73mg cholesterol, 1,613mg sodium
Cauliflower Sautéed With Turmeric, Pine Nuts, Raisins and Rosemary
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 teaspoon turmeric
Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the cauliflower, turmeric and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir in the raisins and pine nuts and cook about 1 minute more, until everything is heated through.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrients per serving: 166 calories, 3g protein, 13g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 13g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium
Curried Chicken Salad With Cherries, Mango and Pecans
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and sliced
1 small ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
1/4 small red onion, diced
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans
1. In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise and the curry powder.
2. Fold in the chicken, cherries, mango, onion and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle with the pecans and serve.
Nutrients per serving: 258 calories, 11g protein, 13g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 20g fat, 32mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium
Cold Coffee Smoothie
2 scoops low-fat coffee ice cream
1 cup chilled skim milk
1 cup cracked ice
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee, plus more for garnish
Combine all ingredients (except garnish) in a blender and blend well. Pour into 2 tall glasses. Garnish with a sprinkle of instant coffee and serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving: 117 calories, 6g protein, 13g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 5g fat, 15mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium
Smoked Salmon Sandwiches With Watercress and Crème Fraîche
Makes 4 sandwiches
4 thin slices pancetta (about 1 ounce total)
1/4 cup crème fraîche
8 slices white or whole-wheat bread
1/4 medium English cucumber, very thinly sliced
8 to 12 small sprigs watercress, tough stems removed
1/4 pound thinly sliced cold smoked salmon
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancetta, turning once, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. When it is cool enough to handle, break into small pieces.
2. Spread the crème fraîche generously on one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle a little black pepper on each slice.
3. Top 4 bread slices with the crumbled pancetta, cucumber, watercress and salmon. Cover with a second slice of bread. Cut each sandwich into halves or quarters, depending on your preference. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving: 245 calories, 15g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 9g fat, 21mg cholesterol, 1,020mg sodium
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
Members save 10% on their check every day.
Members save 15%-20% on tickets to select shows.
Members save 15% on in-store purchases of frozen yogurt, treats and apparel.
AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
Manage your email preferences and tell us which topics interest you so that we can prioritize the information you receive.
Explore all that AARP has to offer.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at