Makes 4 dozen
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1. Sift the confectioner's sugar, add the butter, and beat until light and creamy. Add the egg, lemon juice and zest and mix together.
2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Add it to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal sections; wrap each piece loosely in plastic and flatten. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat an oven to 350F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into various sized hearts and flowers using lightly floured cookie cutters. You may reroll the scraps as long as they are chilled again.
5. Place on unbuttered cookie sheets 1 inch apart and bake until light golden on the edges, 10 to 14 minutes. Remove from the pan with a spatula and cool on wire racks.
6. For the glaze, stir the confectioner's sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest together until the sugar dissolves. When the cookies are completely cool, brush the tops with the lemon glaze.
Nutrients per cookie: 76 calories, 1g protein, 10g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 4g fat, 14mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium