Online Freebies for Grandkids
5 fun (and free) websites where children will keep busy … and learn
You provide plenty of TLC when watching the grandkids, but sometimes you need some R&R. To get it, keep elementary school-age kids and younger occupied with these fun mind- and skills-building online freebies:
See also: When the volunteer room mother at school is Grandma.
- The Smithsonian’s kid site has activity sheets about zebras, squid, chocolate and other topics.
- TheKidzPage.com offers nifty drag-and-place jigsaw puzzles and educational games. Be prepared for 5,000 pages of activities.
- The EPA Student Center provides entertaining schooling on the environment (and useful homework help).
- HappinessisaHorse.com teaches users how to draw a horse’s head, among other challenges.
- Free Stuff 4 Kids has lots of categories — teachables, makeables, eatables, orderables, winnables and other ‘bles”that will keep your charges busy for hours.
To find other online or printable activities, including scads of coloring books, type Kids Learning Freebies (no quotes) into a search engine.
Sid Kirchheimer writes about consumer and health issues. Ask Sid a question about scams, deals and other consumer concerns.