How does Medicare cover coronavirus-related health needs? Find out in our Medicare Resource Center.
Arts & Leisure
June 22, 2009
• AARP National Spelling Bee
• Virginian Wins in 2009
The AARP National Spelling Bee took place on Saturday, June 19, in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Think you've got what it takes to win? Join our spelling bee group to engage other members about this exciting event. Discuss
Top finalists in the 2009 AARP National Spelling Bee in order of placement, with age, hometown, and number of rounds completed.
1. Michael Petrina Jr., 64, Arlington, Va.
2. Scott Firebaugh, 55, Knoxville, Tenn. (Round 46)
3. Gil Couts, 66, Bigfork, Mont. (Round 16)
4. Marlene Harry, 57, Brownsburg, Ind. (Round 13)
5. Deborah George, 56, Livermore, Colo. (Round 11)
6. Dr. Norman Zucker, 62, Sebastopol, Calif. (Round 10)
7. Joan Saxton, 67, Sausalito, Calif. (Round 8)
7. Carolyn Dickmann, 65, Richmond Heights, Mo. (Round 8)
8. Kate Karp, 60, Long Beach, Calif. (Round 7)
8. Dr. Kent Stockton, 67, Riverton, WY (Round 7)
8. Joseph Dickmann, 65, Richmond Heights, Mo. (Round 7)
8. Mary DeForest, 62, Denver, Colo. (Round 7)
9. James Sherry, 57, Troy, Ala. (Round 6)
10. Ed Dorschel, 60, Enumclaw, Wash. (Round 5)
10. Lucy Morales, 57, Washington, D.C. (Round 5)
10. Kathryn Pulver, 51, New York, N.Y. (Round 5)
Please leave your comment below.
You must be logged in to leave a comment.
Visit the AARP state page for information about events, news and resources near you.
Featured AARP Member Benefits
See All >
You are leaving AARP.org and going to the website of our trusted provider. The provider’s terms, conditions and policies apply. Please return to AARP.org to learn more about other benefits.
Your email address is now confirmed.
You'll start receiving the latest news, benefits, events, and programs related to AARP's mission to empower people to choose how they live as they age.
You can also manage your communication preferences by updating your account at anytime. You will be asked to register or log in.
In the next 24 hours, you will receive an email to confirm your subscription to receive emails
related to AARP volunteering. Once you confirm that subscription, you will regularly
receive communications related to AARP volunteering. In the meantime, please feel free
to search for ways to make a difference in your community at