When disasters devastated communities in the Southeast earlier this year, we issued an urgent call for help. You answered, and we are so glad you did. Before 2018 ends, I wanted to share an update on how your gift is making a difference in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael.
Thanks to donors like you, we have distributed grants totaling more than $2,100,000 for recovery efforts across North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia.
That total includes $1 million in matching contributions from AARP and AARP Foundation ($500,000 for each emergency) plus the gifts of thousands of concerned neighbors like you.
In collaboration with AARP Foundation field offices and AARP state offices in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, AARP Foundation has worked to identify community-based groups with a focus on helping vulnerable older adults. Emergency grants have been made to 24 organizations, including those listed below, to help provide food, home repair, legal advocacy, and support as the affected communities continue the long rebuilding process.
- Brunswick County Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Fayetteville Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity of Craven County
- Legal Aid of North Carolina
- North Carolina Housing Finance Agency
- Southeast Association of Area Agencies on Aging (SE4A)
- Able South Carolina
- Home Works of America -- South Carolina
- SBP, Inc.
- South Carolina Legal Services
- All Hands and Hearts -- Smart Response
- Area Agency on Aging for North Florida
- Bay County Council on Aging
- Calhoun County Senior Citizens Association, Inc.
- Chipola Area Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Gulf County Senior Citizens Association, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity of Bay County
- Jackson County Senior Citizens Org, Inc.
- Legal Services of North Florida
- Liberty County Senior Citizens Association, Inc.
- United Way of the Big Bend
- Georgia Farm Bureau Foundation for Agriculture
- Georgia Legal Services Program
The process of reconstructing homes and lives is under way -- and your gift, Laurie, is fueling that work and truly making a difference in these trying times.
Thank you, again, for your compassionate emergency gift and everything you do to help seniors in need.