Help pack a million meals for struggling seniors on 9-11. Volunteer today



Happy African American couple
AARP Auto Buying Program

Most Popular


Free Fun!

AARP Games - Play Now!


Best Employers for Workers Over 50

See the latest winners of this AARP recognition program.

Employer Resource Center

Attract and retain top talent in a changing workforce.

Social Security Mailbox

How Can I Replace a Lost Card?

And get one for an adopted child?

Q. I've lost my Social Security card. How can I get a new one?

A. First, gather up various documents that prove your age, identity and U.S. citizenship or legal immigration status. A birth certificate, driver's license and passport may do the trick, but other types of documents can also work.

See also: Do young children get Social Security benefits?

All documents must be originals or copies of originals certified by the agencies that issued them — no photocopies or notarized copies.

Obtain an application (PDF) for a Social Security card online or at your local Social Security office, fill it out and deliver it or mail it in, with the documents. They will be returned to you.

Social Security will send you your new card as soon as it verifies your documents. The new card will have the same number as the old one.

For more information, call 1-800-772-1213.

Q. My husband and I have adopted a child who was born in another country. How do we get a Social Security number for the child?

A. You're going to have to provide Social Security with documents that prove your child's age, identity and immigration status or U.S. citizenship. You'll also need to provide papers that establish your own identity, and your relationship, custody or responsibility for the child.

All documents must be originals or certified copies by the issuing agencies. Social Security will not accept photocopies or notarized copies.

Complete an application for a Social Security card. Then mail it in with the documents or drop everything off personally at your local Social Security office. The documents will all be returned to you.

The Social Security website provides more information.

Stan Hinden, a former columnist for the Washington Post, wrote How to Retire Happy: The 12 Most Important Decisions You Must Make Before You Retire. Have a question for the Social Security Mailbox? Check out the archive. If you don't find your answer there, send a query.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Member Benefits Cricket Wireless Cellular

Members can save $20 on wireless devices from Cricket. Conditions apply.

membership adt

Small business owners save 20% on new installation of any new ADT security system.

UPS Store membership discount aarp benefits

Members save 15% on eligible products/services and 5% on UPS shipping at The UPS Store®.

Member Benefits

Renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points