Enter the Family Fun Travel Sweepstakes. No purchase necessary. See official rules



You Could Choose Your Dream Vacation
Happy African American couple
AARP Auto Buying Program

Most Popular


Free Fun!

AARP Games - Play Now!


Best Employers for Workers Over 50

See the latest winners of this AARP recognition program.

Employer Resource Center

Attract and retain top talent in a changing workforce.

Can I Collect Unemployment and Social Security?

Be aware, these offices are very busy. You may have to wait a considerable time on the phone. You can also visit the nearest office, but be prepared to wait there as well. You will find the answer to many of your questions at the state agency’s Web site. You may be best off by simply applying for unemployment compensation and waiting for the state’s determination. This can take several weeks if your situation involves several employers or several home states. Remember that your application may be declined. You have a right to appeal the decision, and you should exercise that right.
Q: I’m on Social Security disability benefits and recently lost my job after two years. Can I collect unemployment compensation? –Alice, Albany, N.Y.
A: To be eligible for unemployment compensation, you have to be actively looking for a job and able to work. Receiving Social Security disability suggests you may not be available or able to work. Often, claims for unemployment compensation in this situation are declined.
Q: My employer is requiring we take a “furlough” day, without pay, twice a month. That’s 24 days this year, or about a month’s pay lost. Can I file for unemployment compensation? –Berkley, Charles Town, W.Va.
A: If your work hours are reduced, or if you are told to take days off without pay, you may qualify for “partial unemployment compensation” in most states as a result of your pay loss. Promptly apply for benefits to determine if you qualify. 
Q: I’ve been successfully self-employed for six years, but my major customer just went out of business, and I have no work from other smaller clients. I’ve been paying my self-employment tax all these years. Can I file for benefits from the company that employed me before I became self-employed? –Harrison, Chicago, Ill.
A: Self-employed people do not qualify for unemployment compensation. Your federal self-employment tax payments are essentially your FICA taxes for Social Security and Medicare. Self-employed individuals do not pay unemployment tax to their state of residence.
Unfortunately, you can’t make a claim from employment years ago. Eligibility and benefit determination rules place limits on what income qualifies and how recently you worked with an employer.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

UPS Store membership discount aarp benefits

Members save 15% on eligible products/services, 5% on UPS shipping at The UPS Store®.

membership adt

Small business owners save 20% on new installation of any new ADT security system.

Man using cell phone outdoors

Members save on monthly service & usage fees and get free activation with Consumer Cellular.

Member Benefits

Renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.


Advance your skills. Transform your career.

Explore your learning possibilities.