Think you know AARP? What you don't know about us may surprise you. Discover all the 'Real Possibilities'



Contests and

Dream Vacation Sweepstakes

10 weeks. 10 amazing trips. Seize your chance to win!
See official rules. 

Free Fun!

AARP Games - Play Now!


Best Employers for Workers Over 50

See the latest winners of this AARP recognition program.

Employer Resource Center

Attract and retain top talent in a changing workforce.

Most Popular



Social Security Mailbox

If I Work While Receiving Benefits, Do I Still Pay FICA Taxes?

Yes, for as long as you stay on the job

Q. I recently began taking my Social Security benefits at age 66 — my full retirement age.  If I continue to work, do I still have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes?

A. You do. In this situation, your age doesn’t matter. As long as you work at a job that’s covered by Social Security — as most are — your employer has to deduct both Social Security and Medicare taxes from your pay check. In addition, the employer must pay its share of matching taxes.

See also: Can your Social Security payments be garnished?

If you’re self-employed and the annual net profit from your business is more than $400, you must report those earnings and pay both the employee and employer shares of the required Social Security and Medicare taxes when you file your personal income tax return.

Q. Now that I’m retired, do I have to pay taxes on my Social Security benefits?

A. It depends on your total income. If you file your income tax return as an individual, you will have to pay taxes on some of your benefits if your adjusted gross income, untaxed interest and half your Social Security benefit add up to more than $25,000. If you file a joint tax return with your spouse, you’ll have to pay benefits taxes if those sums add up to more than $32,000.

When it comes to state taxes, some states tax Social Security benefits, while others do not. For more information, check with your state taxing agency. See: “Paying income tax on Social Security benefits.

The Social Security Administration does not withhold federal taxes from your benefit payments unless you request it. To make that request, complete IRS Form W-4V (PDF), which is available on the IRS website or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. When you fill out  the form, you’ll be asked to choose among four withholding levels: 7, 10, 15 or 25 percent. See “Withholding federal taxes from my Social Security check.

Stan Hinden, a former columnist for the Washington Post, wrote How to Retire Happy: The 12 Most Important Decisions You Must Make Before You Retire. Have a question for the Social Security Mailbox? Check out the archive. If you don't find your answer there, send a query.

You may also like: Which state would you most like to live in during retirement?

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Related Video

Social Security expert Jonathan Peterson talks about his new book Social Security for Dummies. Learn more about the book. Read

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Your Work

Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

Explore Your Learning Possiblities