Alert
Close

Think you know AARP? What you don't know about us may surprise you. Discover all the 'Real Possibilities'

Highlights

Open

Jobs You Might Like

Most POPULAR

Viewed

Work
PROGRAMS

Best Employers for Workers Over 50

See the latest winners of this AARP recognition program.

Employer Resource Center

Attract and retain top talent in a changing workforce.

5 Tips to Help You Find Financial Freedom in Retirement

Answers to popular investment questions from the African American community

Q: I plan on retiring in 5-10 years. When should I pull out of the stock market?

A: This is a great question and one that everyone should ask as they get closer to retirement. The simple answer is that you shouldn't pull out of the market. Now before you write me off, let me explain. Your portfolio should be diversified at all times. Your portfolio should never all be in the market to begin with. The real question goes to deciding how much of your portfolio should be in the market. For years studies (like the ones done by Ariel and Schwab) have shown that African Americans participate less in the market than most other ethnic communities. Following 2008, many of us may have been happy about that. However, that's not a long-term prescription for success. Let me suggest a few things. At the 10-year mark I would suggest that you take a look to see if you are on track to having enough saved to sustain you during retirement. If you are, consider dialing back your exposure to the market. If you are a little bit behind you should probably consider keeping your market exposure a little higher. Remember this comes with additional risk in the event of a market downturn. When you get to the five-year mark go through the same process. Just remember that, for most of us, we are going to need to keep some of our money invested in the market to have a good chance of staying ahead of inflation during a retirement that could easily last 30 years.

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Your Work

Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

Explore Your Learning Possiblities