Here are the 10 best states for retirement, and some of the reasons why each is on the list. With this MoneyRates.com ranking the No. 1 spot is the best of the best.
10. Texas (tie) — warm weather and solid economy
10. California (tie) — good weather and high life expectancy
9. South Dakota — low crime rate and high life expectancy
7. New Mexico (tie) — good weather
7. Florida (tie) — good weather
6. Colorado — high life expectancy
5. Virginia — good economy
4. Arizona — good weather and high life expectancy
3. Utah — good economy
2. Idaho — low crime rate and good economy
1. Hawaii — great weather and high life expectancy
Read about MoneyRates.com's list of worst-rated states for retirement.
Visit the AARP home page every day for great deals and tips on keeping healthy and sharp.