Alert
Close

Think you know AARP? What you don't know about us may surprise you. Discover all the 'Real Possibilities'

Highlights

Open

Real Possibilities

You and Your Town Contest-You could win an AARP RealPad
Introducing RealPad by AARP
Auto mechanics in repair shop. Small Business Resource Center

Contests and
Sweeps

$10,000 Winter Escapes Sweepstakes

Beat the cold and cozy up to a chance of winning $10,000! See official rules.

AARP-iPad-ePub-app
AARP Auto Buying Program

PROGRAMS & RESOURCES

Best Employers for Workers Over 50

See the latest winners of this AARP recognition program.

Your Own Business

Information for business owners, entrepreneurs and the self-employed.

Back to Work 50+

Connecting employers and unemployed workers 50+.

Most Popular
ARTICLES

Viewed

6 Ways to Jump-Start Your Job Search

Thinking about changing jobs? Here's how to move forward

2. Join a nonvirtual networking group. I'm a member of the Transition Network, a nonprofit networking group for women over 50. It's based in New York but has a chapter in Washington, D.C., where I live.

Colleges have networking groups, too. For instance, my alma mater, Duke University, has Women's Forums in New York; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Chicago; Dallas; Houston; Atlanta; Charlotte, N.C.; Seattle; Denver; and even London.

Networking peer groups are active in churches, synagogues and community centers. You might also consider joining a peer group associated with your profession.

If you hear of a local event that sounds intriguing, push yourself to make room in your schedule. I try to go to two a month.

Real networking isn't about finding someone to help you get a job today. It's about making contacts over time. At each network event, I try to meet three new people and get their contact information. Afterward, I jot down notes on the backs of their business cards about where we met and what we discussed. I follow up via email in the next day or so and try to make plans to meet in the near future to continue our conversation.

3. Help others connect. Virtual introductions are easy and a win for everyone. Pride yourself on being a good matchmaker? Then when someone says, "I'm looking for someone who can do this," craft an email introducing the two parties and let them take it from there. It's a nice thing to do, and it feels good.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts

Processing

Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Video Extra

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

UPS Store membership discount aarp benefits

Members save 15% on eligible products/services, 5% on UPS shipping at The UPS Store®.

membership adt

Small business owners save 20% on new installation of any new ADT security system.

Mujer en la parte de afuera de so negocio

Free quotes for members from the AARP® Small Business Insurance Program.

Member Benefits

Renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points

Explore Your Learning Possiblities