Looking for help finding a job? Thinking about working for yourself but aren't sure where to start? Let AARP help you.
Visit the Career Center on the exhibit floor (booth 945) of the AARP Orlando@50+ National Event & Expo at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. The Career Center will be open daily, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission to the Career Center is free! Register here or call 800-883-2784.
The AARP Orlando@50+ Career Center is a one-stop resource area where you can:
- Get tips on re-inventing yourself from Marva Goldsmith, a professional image consultant and author of Branding Yourself After Age 50.
- Meet Martin Llorens and learn how a positive self image begins from within.
- Learn how to update your look with a makeover by CVS
- Talk to a career counselor about your specific job search.
- Meet with Center for Adult and Experiential Learning counselors to identify your transferable skills.
- Visit with AARP Foundation WorkSearch counselors to identify potential training opportunities.
- Learn how to use the Internet in your job search.
- Find employers that have an interest in hiring mature workers.
- Talk with representatives from SCORE about starting your own business.
Also, attend the AARP University Session, "Working for Yourself: What It Means and How to Get Started," featuring Marva Goldsmith, professional image consultant, and Rich Jaeckle, Orlando SCORE representative. The presenters will cover the most important aspects to consider when contemplating self-employment and will help you learn how to:
- Assess your self-employment interests and skills.
- Explore a viable product or service.
- Create a business plan.
- Market your business.