Industry: Industrial: Aerospace Location: Houston Website: www.MEITechinc.com
Winning Years: 2013, 2009
Highlights of 2013 Winning Strategies
MEI Technologies Inc. (MEIT) recruits mature workers and retirees through several programs. Employees hired through the Associates Program are typically retired through their previous employer, and working for MEIT’s program allows the individual to continue to receive their pension from their former employer while working in their field. In addition, MEIT utilizes LinkedIn groups such as Americas Heroes at Work and Life Reimagined for Work as recruiting resources. Military retirees are also targeted with MEIT’s established network with military transition centers.
Additional Policies and Practices
- Workplace Culture/Continued Opportunities: MEIT offers its employees the following learning and development programs: in-house classroom training, online training, certification classes, reimbursement of professional membership dues and training grants through government funding. Tuition reimbursement is offered exclusively to employees working 30-plus hours per week. Long-service anniversaries are celebrated with announcements, parties and awards. Based on feedback gathered from employee opinion surveys and focus groups, MEIT has made the following improvements for its employees: social events are planned to include activities for all ages, a newsletter is distributed to keep employees better informed, and in-house training is conducted at employees’ work locations for convenience purposes. Employees have opportunities to gain new experiences by working on temporary assignments in other departments and on team projects. Employees are allowed work from home options when faced with medical conditions that impact their mobility and ability to work in the office.
- Benefits/Health: Employees working 30-plus hours per week receive individual and family medical coverage, individual and family prescription drug coverage, individual and family vision and dental insurance, and short- and long-term disability. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) and health savings accounts (HSAs) are available to assist in covering out-of-pocket health care costs. Full- and part-time employees are offered flu shots, health club discounts and stress management training. Smoking cessation and weight loss programs/counseling are offered to full-time employees. Twenty-eight percent of MEIT employees utilized at least one of these wellness benefits during a recent 12-month period. Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services are available to full- and part-time employees as well as their family members.
- Benefits/Financial: Employees are offered a 401(k) plan with employer match. All new hires and all employees are automatically enrolled into the plan, employees age 50-plus can make catch-up contributions to their plan and may also invest in lifecycle funds that automatically reallocate assets based on age or proximity to retirement. Employees are financially educated by the staff of the financial services firm that administers their plan. Employees are offered short-term and long-term leaves of absence without pay for caregiving needs. MEIT offers referral services to assist with child care and eldercare to all employees.
- Benefits/Alternative Work Arrangements: Employees can participate in alternative work arrangements such as flextime, compressed work schedules and telecommuting. Full-time employees are eligible to move to part-time work on a permanent or temporary basis.
- Opportunities for Retirees: MEIT has 43 retirees and an individual directly responsible for retiree relations. The company stays connected with its retirees by communicating on a regular basis. Retirees are offered the following work opportunities: temporary work assignments, consulting and contract work, telecommuting, as well as full-and part-time work.
- Age of Workforce: Fifty-one percent of MEIT employees are age 50-plus. The average tenure of employees age 50-plus is five years.
Also of Interest: More AARP Best Employers for Workers Over 50
Next ArticleRead This