Maybe it's been a few years (OK, decades!) since you've attended a football game at your alma mater. Or maybe you prefer the NFL on your big-screen TV to paying nine bucks for a beer at the stadium. But while you’re picking chips off that Snuggie, you're missing out — because college and pro football games are only half the fun. Many of the nation’s teams play in locations with not only deep football roots, but also striking scenery, quirky attractions and delicious dining.
So with a little teamwork with our friends at Frommer's, these are our starting 11 for the more seasoned fan's can't-miss college and professional football destinations across the U.S. (Don't agree? Trash talk with us in the “Comments” area below or the AARP Online Community Football Group!) Scroll to the bottom of each page for the next destination.
- NEXT, No. 11: Flower power
- No. 10: Rumbling rafters and salamanders
- No. 9: Avast, ye quarterbacks!
- No. 8: Countryside, cars and canals
- No. 7: Rolling to another championship?
- No. 6: Monument to football success
- No. 5: Fount of football pageantry
- No. 4: New England, old traditions
- No. 3: Happy days
- No. 2: A gumbo of good times
- No. 1: Lone Star love