Porter Williams, the owner of Island Thyme Bistro and tireless promoter of all things Salt Cay, first came to the island in the mid-1990s. It was during his first visit to Salt Cay, Porter says, that he became part and parcel of the community. After years of being guests, he and his wife decided that they wanted their children to grow up island-style. They bought a historic structure, and, with the help of local craftsmen, created Island Thyme Bistro. Since then, Porter has danced with Miss Alice at the Senior Citizen's Ball, was Santa at the annual children's Christmas Party, learned to make johnnycakes from Miss Nettie, and dived with manta rays. Here are Porter Williams's favorite TCI experiences:
- Attending glowworm parties.
- Snorkeling for conch and swimming with whales.
- Sampling cracked conch at Pat's Place.
- Enjoying a margarita at the Coral Reef Bar & Grill (Deane's Dock area; tel. 649/946-6940).
- Walking on a deserted beach.
- Exploring and looking for treasure.
- Visiting with old and new friends.
- Looking at the stars.
- Enjoying the ultimate freedom of living in a place where everyone is accepted and becomes part of the community.
Travel page content provided by Zagat © 2013, Google.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.