In May 2008, AARP Florida, in partnership with The Hospice of the Florida Suncoast and Florida Hospice & Palliative Care, commissioned a survey of AARP members on caregiving and end-of-life issues.
- 13% of respondents are providing unpaid care for a relative, friend, spouse, companion, or partner
- A third have been providing care for at least 6 years, and 45% have been providing care for 1-5 years
- If they could choose where to die, 58% would choose to die at home
- 9 in 10 have heard of hospice services, and 8 in 10 have a very or somewhat favorable opinion of them
- 64% have talked with their spouse, partner, or another family member about their wishes for care at the end of life
- 57% have completed a last will and testament, and 53% have completed a living will
This mail survey was conducted in May and June 2008 among a random sample of 3,024 AARP members aged 50 and older. For more information, contact Terri Guengerich at 202-434-6306. (33 pages)