6. Pursue your own interests — concerts, lectures, tai chi, cooking classes, whatever. "Look for things you're passionate about and attend consistently so that you have time to build relationships naturally," Paul says.
7. Set up a page on Facebook. You can connect with old friends and friends of friends — who just may happen to know someone in your area. Worst case: you'll find a few online soul mates.
8. Invite a few of your neighbors for dinner if you like to cook, or organize a potluck meal if you don't.
9. Get a dog if you're an animal lover. Conversations with other dog walkers are guaranteed, and even people without pets will stop to say hello to Max, giving you the perfect opener. Can't have a pet? Volunteer at your local shelter.
10. Work out at a nearby gym or the Y — but don't just do the machine routine: Join a class so you see the same people every week.