Help pack a million meals for struggling seniors on 9-11. Volunteer today


Most Popular


GrandFamilies Guide

Raising Grandchildren: Work

How to find employment and manage your job while caring for a child

Are there special job programs for someone 55 or older with a low income?

The U.S. Department of Labor Training and Employment Administration has the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). These are part-time community service jobs for workers over the age of 55 who meet income limits and have a hard time finding a job. The SCSEP jobs are with nonprofit community organizations, or with federal, state, county or city organizations in places like community centers, day-care centers, museums, senior centers, national parks, hospitals and schools. The jobs are part time and pay at least the minimum wage. The program also has job training, job counseling and helps you find jobs outside the program as well.

Contact your local One-Stop Career Center through the toll-free help line at 877-US2-JOBS (877-872-5627) to find national organizations with a site near you. See the Grand Families Resources work section for more contact information and websites.

I don't qualify for SCSCEP, what other job assistance programs exist?

The AARP Foundation WorkSearch Assessment System has community-level job and career information and services for people who are seeking to remain in, or re-enter the workforce. WorkSearch is an online screening system that provides a variety of free services. WorkSearch can look at your interests and skills, link you to online training and study guides, give you skills tests, and give you ideas for the kinds of jobs that would be good for you and link you to job-search website listings for those kinds of jobs Currently, you can go through a WorkSearch assessment through any one of the 100 AARP Foundation SCSEP sites around the country.

I believe I have been treated unfairly at my job because of my age. What should I do?

The first step is to talk to your employer to see if you can discuss what happened and work out a plan together to correct it. If you can't resolve the problem in this way, you have the right to file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You'll need to file your charge within a certain time limit, so don't delay. Call the EEOC at 800-669-4000 or go to the website to find out where the closest EEOC field office is. They can transfer you to that office. Get details on exactly what you have to do to file a charge.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Jobs You Might Like



National and state fact sheets listing services, programs,  benefits, laws and policies for grandparents raising children. Read

GrandFamilies Guide

Information, tips and tools for grandparents raising grandchildren. Read


Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Carrabba's Italian Grill Chicken Plate, Member Benefits

Members save 15% on lunch and dinner every day at Carrabba's Italian Grill.

Member Benefit AARP Regal 2

Members can save $3 on any size popcorn and soft drink combo at Regal Cinemas.

membership ancestry

Members save 30% on  a one-year subscription to

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Being Social


Wisdom Circle

Join our circle to ask for — or give — advice on topics such as love, friendship, grief, parenting and grandparenting. Discuss

Grandparenting: Joys & Challenges

There are many joys from being a grandparent, so let's celebrate them together! Discuss

Raising Grandchildren

Grandparent caring for grandkids share tips and discuss challenges, solutions and triumphs along the way. Join