- Is it in a safe neighborhood?
- Is it located near shops, doctors’ offices, places of worship and social contacts?
- Is it reasonably close to adult children's homes?
- Is public or private transportation easily accessible?
- Are there restrictions on behavior such as smoking and drinking alcohol?
- Are pets allowed?
- Are guests, including overnighters, welcome?
- Are there formal visiting hours?
- How much flexibility is there for mealtimes?
- In a shared setting, how are responsibilities determined?
- How does management handle rate increases and discharge policies?
Moving In With Family
- Will this move cause or solve family problems?
- If a parent and child are considering living together, can they and the others living in the house get along?
- Is the space adequate?
- Is the house equipped for the older adult?
- Can you give the parent the attention she deserves?
- Are your lifestyles compatible?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages for all those involved?
- Are you comfortable with this serious commitment and reasonably sure it will work?