En español | Trips to the doctor’s office can leave you harried and overwhelmed. As a result, important questions can be forgotten. Here is a list of suggested questions to consider bringing with you to your loved one’s next appointment.
Here are the symptoms my mother is experiencing. What could be causing them?
- What illness or condition does/could my loved one have?
- How is the condition or illness diagnosed?
- What are the treatment options?
- What is the most effective treatment?
- What are the causes of this condition or illness?
- What is likely to happen with and without treatment?
- Are there common complications associated with this illness or condition?
- What is the name of the medicine you are prescribing?
- What is its benefit?
- Is a generic drug available?
- What are the risks and side effects?
- How often should my loved one take the drug?
- How long should he take the drug?
- What foods, other medicines or activities should he avoid while taking this drug?
- Could this medicine interact with any medications he’s currently taking?
Diet and Exercise
- Are there foods that my loved one should avoid?
- Should my loved one eat more of a certain type of food?
- Do you recommend vitamins or supplements?
- How often should my loved one exercise?
- What types of exercise are safe?
- What types of exercise are not safe?
- Are tests necessary?
- What will they show?
- What preparation is needed?
- When will we get the results?
- What do the test results mean?
Next: Questions about costs»