Frank Kameny comes across as a disarmingly modest man. But he's not shy about claiming his rightful place as a pioneer in the fight for gay rights in the United States. In this illuminating and sometimes funny interview, Kameny says he had always dreamed of being the first gay astronaut, an ambition thwarted by the discriminatory civil service laws in place through the mid-1970s. And he describes the gay rights movement, and his own "agenda" - total, non-negotiable equality for all people, regardless of sexual orientation.
MORE ON STONEWALL
- What Stonewall Means to Me. Read
- Footprints in Gay History. Watch
- Hispanics Fight for LGBT Rights. Read
- Coming Out at 50. Read
- What Does Stonewall Mean to You? Read
- Martina Navratilova on Stonewall. Watch