15. Kennedy's body was also aboard for the return flight to Washington.
16. Judge Sarah Hughes wept as she administered the oath of office.
17. Jackie Kennedy refused to take off her pink Chanel suit, stained with her husband's blood. She told Lady Bird Johnson, "I want them to see what they have done to Jack."
18. Jackie did, however, remove her wedding ring and put it on her husband's finger to be buried with him.
19. Later, she had an aide retrieve it.
20. Jackie's suit has never been cleaned and lies in the National Archives.
21. It will not be seen in public until at least 2103, according to Kennedy family wishes.
22. Attorney General and presidential brother Robert F. Kennedy met Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base upon its return.
23. The Texas School Book Depository's sixth floor, where assassin Lee Harvey Oswald had positioned himself for the shooting, is today a museum dedicated to JFK's assassination.
24. Oswald was a self-described Marxist.
25. He had tried to defect to Russia in 1959.
26. At the time, assassination of a president was not a federal offense; Oswald would have been tried in Texas.
27. The murder weapon was a 6.5 mm Italian carbine rifle that Oswald had bought for $19.95.
28. Dallas businessman Abraham Zapruder caught the assassination on his 8 mm home movie camera.
29. His secretary had urged him to go home and get it for the presidential parade.
30. Zapruder's film was later bought by Life magazine for $150,000.
Next page: Jack Ruby, the funeral and burial. »