1. Telemarketing Do-Not-Call Law: The strongest state law in the nation that can provide privacy and stop unwanted telemarketing sales calls. Call 1-888-382-1222 or go to www.donotcall.gov to register and stop receiving those annoying telephone sales calls.
2. Identity Theft Prevention Act: AARP led the effort that achieved the strongest identity theft prevention law in the country. It allows you to "freeze" your credit, the best line of defense against identity theft. Download instructions and information, or call 1-800-242-5846.
3. Prescription Drug Retail Price Registry: If you are paying full price for your prescription drugs, you can easily find the lowest prices in your neighborhood. Go to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs site or call 1-800-242-5846 to learn more.
4. Energy Assistance: Help is available for families who are having a temporary financial emergency. NJ SHARES can help with up to $1,000 for moderate income families to pay their energy bills. For more information, please go to www.njshares.org or call 1-866-NJSHARES (657-4273). For information on other energy assistance programs, please call 1-800-510-3102.
5. Independence, Dignity, and Choice in Long-Term Care Act: Provides options for home and community-based long-term care services. To learn about home and community-based long-term care services in your community, call your County Office on Aging at 1-877-222-3737.
6. HEAL: Hospital Error Accountability Law: Helps consumers learn about preventable medical errors and hospital infection rates. AARP supported state laws requiring NJ hospitals to publicly report infection rates and preventable medical errors. View the latest report.
7. AARP supported a new state law preventing hospitals from charging uninsured patients more than 150% of charges allowed under Medicare. Formerly, uninsured NJ hospital patients would have to pay much higher charges than the government allows under Medicare. Check your hospital bills and ask what the Medicare costs would be if you spot any suspiciously high charges.
8. Predatory Lending Protections Act: Protects consumers from being charged exorbitant interest rates when borrowing money. To learn more, go to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance or call 1-800-446-7467.
9. Predatory Annuities Prevention Act: Helps protect people from predatory annuities sales practices. To protect yourself, go to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance or call 1-800-446-7467.
10. Silver Alert Law: Helps locate vulnerable older adults who may have wandered off. If you see the Silver Alert message on overhead highway signs, be sure to be on the lookout – you could help save a life.
We have brochures and printed materials available on many of the programs listed here. Please call the AARP New Jersey State Office at 1-866-542-8165 if you would like copies! You can order bulk quantities for yourself, your family and friends or even for your community.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This