Thanasis Zovoilis/Getty Images
Instructions: The following statements describe how people sometimes feel. For each statement please indicate how often you feel the way described using the numbers below. There are no right or wrong answers.
1=Never 2=Rarely 3=Sometimes 4=Always
1. How often do you feel unhappy doing so many things alone?
2. How often do you feel you have no one to talk to?
3. How often do you feel you cannot tolerate being so alone?
4. How often do you feel as if no one understands you?
5. How often do you find yourself waiting for people to call or write?
6. How often do you feel completely alone?
7. How often do you feel unable to reach out and communicate with those around you?
8. How often do you feel starved for company?
9. How often do you feel it is difficult for you to make friends?
10. How often do you feel shut out and excluded by others?
A total score is computed by adding up the response to each question. The average loneliness score on the measure is 20. A score of 25 or higher reflects a high level of loneliness. A score of 30 or higher reflects a very high level of loneliness.
UCLA Loneliness Scale © Dr. Daniel Russell
Next ArticleRead This