This forum post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore gloryimages. Show Details
This forum post is hidden because you have submitted an abuse report against it. Show Details
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
Ingredients (for 24 pieces of chicken):
· 3 quarts buttermilk
· 4 cups all purpose flour
· 1 cup "secret ingredient" - this can be whatever you have available: breadcrumbs, cornmeal, crushed corn flakes, panko etc.
· 2 t salt
· 1 t pepper
· 1 t paprika
· 1 t onion powder
· 1/2 t garlic powder
· 1 t each fresh parsley, thyme
· 1 t rosemary
· canola oil for frying
· lots of love
· Liberally sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, then just cover with water.
· The chicken should brine for at least 2 hours, but can be done the night before.
· Submerge chicken in buttermilk until ready to cook, at least 30 minutes
· Combine flour, spices and herbs.
· Preheat deep fryer or cast iron skillet to 340 degrees. Take chicken directly from the buttermilk and dip in the flour mixture. Let the coated chicken sit for a minute, then cook in the deep fryer for 15-18 minutes, depending on the size.
· For a cast iron skillet, cook for 12-14 minutes on each side. It's important to let the chicken rest on a cooling rack for a couple minutes after to finish cooking and to ensure the skin is crispy.
Thank you! I can't wait to get home to try this (in 2 months)
My husband is orignially from OK and I am a Yankee--he loves my cookin' but dreams about his grandma's. This sounds like the way she would have made it. (I never met, his mom or his grandma)