This forum post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore Zil. Show Details
This forum post is hidden because you have submitted an abuse report against it. Show Details
Recent studies have shown that turmeric is safe and effective for the treatment of depression, possibly even more effective than Prozac. Turmeric is often confused with and substituted for saffron, because not only does it have a very strong flavor, it also turns foods a golden yellow color. A little goes a long way. Learn how to cook with turmeric and try some recipes using turmeric, such as Sweet Potato, Lamb, and Sausage Stew, Creamy Lentil Soup With Caramelized Onion, and more...
Turmeric Cooking Tips and Usage• Turmeric is also known as Indian saffron.
• Turmeric is an important ingredient in curry mixes,chutney, and mustard pickles. It also goes well with chicken, duck, turkey, vegetables, rice, and salad dressing.
• Turmeric is extremely pungent, and actually gets stronger when cooked. A little goes a long way, so use it sparingly when experimenting.
• Avoid touching your clothing when working with turmeric. It is a powerful yellow dye.
• Although a pinch of turmeric may be used as a substitute for saffron to achieve that golden yellow color, the flavor does not compare in the least.
• Substitute 1 teaspoon dry mustard for 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
• The color of turmeric can vary widely from deep yellow-orange to bright yellow. This is simply due to different varieties.
• It is suggested to use black pepper in conjunction with turmeric to realize any potentialhealth benefits.