Message Boards Directory
Welcome to the AARP Discussion Board. Here you can talk with peers about current events ranging from Social Security to caring for your parents to the latest on health care reform. It is also the perfect place to exchange healthy eating recipes and job hunting tips.
These forums are for you to engage and have fun meeting new people. Just remember the community code: Be nice!
message from Blue Cross about Medicare
posted at September 5, 2012 3:36 PM EDT
Re: message from Blue Cross about Medicare
posted at September 5, 2012 5:06 PM EDT
First: November 27, 2011
Last: December 8, 2013
In Response to message from Blue Cross about Medicare:
MEDICARE Look clearly at the 2014 rate compared to the 2013 rate. For those of you who are on Medicare, read the following. It's short, but Important and you probably haven't heard about it in the mainstream news: "The per person Medicare insurance premium will increase from the present monthly fee of $96.40, rising to: $104.20 in 2012 $120.20 in 2013 And $247.00 in 2014." These are provisions incorporated in the Obamacare legislation, purposely delayed so as not to confuse the 2012 re-election campaigns. Send this to all seniors that you know, so they will know who's throwing them under the bus. Peggy Riehle Internal Representative Network Contracting 205-220-6778
Posted by gymdandee
gymdandee, you need to go to a better source because this is not right in the way that you have presented it.
1. You are talking about Medicare Part B - the part that beneficiaries pay represents 25% of the previous years usage, unless you make over $ 85,000 a year and then you are assessed surcharges - the higher your income the higher your surcharge. The government picks up the other 75% of Part B expenditures presently.
2. This premium can only be changed as set by LAW when the beneficiaries get a COLA increase. So it went from a base rate of $ 96.40 in 2011 to $ 99.90 in 2012 because Social Security gave a COLA increase and the increase cannot be more than the COLA increase. So it did not go up as much as was predicted.
3. Here is the Medicare Website that talks about Medicare Premiums for higher income beneficiaries.
Medicare Premiums: Rules for Higher Income Beneficiaries.
4. Of course premiums can go up, but this is based on how much is spent on this part of Medicare - so the more that it is used, the higher the premiums could go. Especially since government has given Medicare Personal Care Physicians a larger reimbursement rate for a while in order to keep them within the Medicare system.
5. Then you have the other problem of these higher income beneficiaries deciding not to accept Medicare B especially if their (income surcharged) premiums keep going higher and higher. This year (2012) a Medicare beneficiary with a Modified Gross Income of over $ 129,000 is paying $ 319.70 per month for their Part B and also pay a surcharge of $66.40 over and above their Medicare D premium.
Another note here of concern is right now Medicare considers higher income seniors to be those with MAGI over $ 85,000 per year - I cannot determine why it is this figure; I don't think it is within a defined Law - so if that be the case, this figure can always be modified downward to bring in MORE beneficiaries having to pay a surcharge over and above the standard Medicare B monthly premium.