Help pack a million meals for struggling seniors on 9-11. Volunteer today



Driver Safety

Piggy bank on the road - AARP Driver Safety

Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!

Happy African American couple

AARP Books

Visit the Books Section

Enjoy titles on retirement, Social Security, and becoming debt-free.

Jobs You Might Like

most popular


Ask the Experts

Save Energy, and Then Save on Taxes

Q. I’ve been told that I’m going to need a new water heater soon. If I buy one now, can I get a tax break?

A. Yes, thanks to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, also known as the stimulus plan.

Certain energy-efficient home improvements, such as a water heater, qualify for a tax credit that is subtracted from what you owe the IRS, or added to your refund. Other products that earn the energy-saving tax break include windows, insulation, doors, heat pumps, central air conditioners, wood stoves and oil furnaces.

The products must be installed between Jan. 1, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2010. Taxpayers can claim up to 30 percent of the cost of energy-saving improvements to their primary residence, up to a maximum $1,500. Make sure you keep receipts of all purchases for easy reference come tax time.

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.


The Cheap Life

Jeff Yeager Cheap Life Ultimate Cheapskate AARP YouTube web series save money

Catch the latest episode of The Cheap Life starring Jeff Yeager, AARP's Ultimate Cheapskate. Watch

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Member Benefits HomeServe

Members can protect their homes with comprehensive repair plans from HomeServe.

AARP Credit card from Chase

Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.

Woman holding smartphone in city, Google map tool

Members can find discounts on the go via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder app.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points


Advance your skills. Transform your career.

Explore your learning possibilities.