The checklist below includes items you need to bring when you visit an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site for us to help you prepare your tax return(s)
- Last year’s tax return(s)
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all your dependents
- Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers.
- Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s).
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
- 1099-Misc forms
- Information about other forms of Income
- State or local income tax refund
All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest
- 1098-T and 1098-E forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest payments)
- A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
- Summary of contributions to charity
- Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax
- Property Tax bills and proof of payment
- Form 1095A if you purchased through Marketplace (Exchange)
- Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable)
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
- 1099 forms related to continuing education and related receipts and cancelled checks
AARP Foundation operates the AARP Tax-Aide program under a cooperative agreement with the IRS. To help you complete your tax forms, AARP's trained and IRS-certified volunteers will see personal information that you give them about you and your finances. This information is strictly confidential. We will not share your information with anyone except as necessary to accurately file your tax returns or as otherwise required by law.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide keeps different types of information about you, and for different periods of time, depending on the services you ask us to provide you.
If you ask us to file your return electronically, we keep your return information temporarily so that we can electronically process your return, ensure acceptance by the IRS and forward your information as required by the IRS, as well as any state taxation authority (state regulations may vary).
Your return information will generally be turned over to the IRS or otherwise disposed of by the end of April of the year in which we file for you. If you are e-filing, we retain aggregate data (such as city, state and ZIP code information, and return information collected at the site level, such as total returns by filing status or total Earned Income Tax Credit payment) for program analysis. This aggregate data do not include names, Social Security numbers or other personally identifiable information about individuals.
We also keep general, personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, birth date, identification numbers and employer address) for use with next year's filing. The personally identifiable information AARP Foundation Tax-Aide keeps for you will be kept confidential and will not be sold, given away or used for commercial purposes.
In all cases, we take reasonable measures to help ensure that only AARP Foundation Tax-Aide staff and volunteers who need access to your information for the purpose of helping with your tax preparation and filing will have such access. We maintain reasonable policies and procedures intended to protect the confidentiality of your information.
If you have any questions about this notice, please contact us at 202-434-6027 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This