Alert
Close

Think you know AARP? What you don't know about us may surprise you. Discover all the 'Real Possibilities'

Highlights

Open

You and Your Town Contest-You could win an AARP RealPad

AARP Auto Buying Program

Contests and
Sweeps

$10,000 Winter Escapes Sweepstakes

Beat the cold and cozy up to a chance of winning $10,000! See official rules.

Driver Safety

Piggy bank on the road - AARP Driver Safety

Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!

AARP Books

Visit the Money Section

Enjoy titles on retirement, Social Security, and becoming debt-free.

Jobs You Might Like

most popular
articles

Viewed

Scam Alert

Zongo the Internet Con Man and Me

How I outfoxed a scammer promising me a dead tycoon's fortune

It was 1970 when I first saw one of those letters that offer you a fortune if you just help someone transfer money. It was signed by an African prince and arrived at our Philadelphia rowhouse addressed to “Occupant.”  Being 12, I marveled at the blue airmail envelope and colorful stamps.

Dad snickered and mumbled something about “stupid people.” It was unclear whether he meant people who fall for that kind of thing or the supposed prince who wasted postage trying to con him.

See also: Low-interest loan scams ask for upfront fees.

The proliferation of internet and email cons

Beware the Internet con artist. — Phil Banko/Getty Images

Today, I see these letters all the time  thanks to the Internet, which allows for mass, stamp-free delivery. They pile up in several email accounts that I maintain under pseudonyms to track trends for Scam Alert. Like Dad, I trash most. But a few months ago, I received a missive from a certain Mr. Zongo Dawa. I decided we just had to connect. And so began a six-week saga of intrigue, deceit and amusement worthy of the silver screen.

ACT 1: The connection

My computer screen displays an incoming email on a Hotmail account. The subject line: Investment and Partnership Proposal.

Sir: I am Mr. Zongo Dawa, business consultant in Burkina Faso. I represent the interest of a top government official here in West African country … entrusted with the responsibility of locating a capable overseas partner with whom we can work to discretely move a large sum of money, in view of adverse political/economic situation here, then work with our overseas partner for setting up business or investing the money there in your country.

Your role will be to provide the necessary assistance/logistics for transferring the sum of (US$15,5 million) money in bank in my country to your country … I am looking for a mature and serious business person with the necessary capability and connections in his country to work with on this proposal. We are ready to pay you 20% as commission for the business after conclusion of the transfer successfully.

I type "Zongo Dawa" into Google. Up come several pages indicating that this man — or more likely several people in several countries using the name — has played various roles: son of an African chief, bank auditor and corporate executive, all seeking to move $15.5 million out of an African nation. Zongo proves prolific in what the FBI calls a "419 scam" ­ — named for the section of the Nigerian criminal code dealing with fraud.

ACT 2: Courting Ben

I hit the reply key, and so begins a correspondence between Zongo and me, aka Benjamin Botas, a mature and serious man, albeit with a shady résumé.

Ben: Mr. Dawa, I am a 55-year-old businessman in the U.S. who never smiles, willing to assist you. But before we proceed, I must admit that I am currently embezzling funds from my employer to start my own business venture — setting up squirrel farms to harvest an enzyme in their livers. I will produce supplements, falsely claiming this enzyme is the secret to their energy. This enterprise — Nutso Nutritionals — will make you, your client and me millionaires! But first, I must know two things: Are you comfortable dealing with someone of my criminal nature? And what assurances do I have that you are not a scammer?

Zongo (one hour later): I am happy when i receive your reply and i am sending to you my international passport to proof that this is real.

I check the web page 419.bittenus.com/passports/burkinafaso.htm, which shows fake passports sent by African scammers as proof of identity. One passport has the same number and photo as the one Zongo sent me but has another name, Diallo Abou.

Zongo also sends me an application form requesting my name, address, phone number, passport number and bank account, information you should never share with strangers.

Next: Scammers are waiting to drain your bank account. >>

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts

Processing

Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

The Cheap Life

Jeff Yeager Cheap Life Ultimate Cheapskate AARP YouTube web series save money

Catch the latest episode of The Cheap Life starring Jeff Yeager, AARP's Ultimate Cheapskate. Watch

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

Life insurance: you are covered rain or shine

Exclusive annuities for members from AARP Lifetime Income Program from New York Life.

AARP Credit card from Chase

Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.

Homeowners Insurance
Member Benefits

Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points