In addition to completing this table, check your state insurance limits through the following websites:
• National Association of Insurance Commissioners, www.naic.org, and click on "States & Jurisdictions"
• National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds, www.ncigf.org, and click on "State Guaranty Contacts" under "Public Resources"
• National Organization of Life & Health Insurance Guaranty Associations, www.nolhga.com, and click on "State Associations"
If you have a policy above the limits, you are still protected up to the limits in your state. Also, think carefully before changing policies or breaking them up because you may incur large penalties—it may not be worth it.
If you have a policy and no claims pending, and your insurance company fails, shop around for a new policy.
If you are looking for new insurance coverage, check out key information including the financial data and complaints about a company at www.naic.org and search "Consumer Information Source."
Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner