En español | Tips from Donna Richardson Joyner, member of the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
1. Cut your medical bills. Make exercise and eating healthy a habit. Get fit now and your medical bills will be lower later.
2. Take advantage of free ways to exercise, such as walking, dancing and stretching; or check out churches and the YMCA for exercise classes for little or no cost. Squeeze workouts into everyday activities, such as parking farther from your destination so you walk more.
3. Don't join a gym if you won't use it. If you will, look for membership deals when you join with a friend or family member. Besides saving cash, you'll have an exercise buddy to keep you motivated.
4. Take advantage of free exercise classes on YouTube or other sites. This site will give you 30 free programs: www.thetumblrgym.com/workout.
5. Go for inexpensive workout equipment. A jump rope, a pair of dumbbells and an exercise ball are cheap and effective.
6. Sign up for email alerts about sales at your favorite fitness apparel stores. Clothing discounters often carry the same shoes and workout gear as fitness stores but for less money.
7. Keep portions in check. Food portion should be the size of a small fist or a deck of cards. Save money by using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate or platter. When ordering, ask restaurants to bag half of your meal to take home.
Tips from Michelle Katz, ABC News health care contributor:
8. Download free fitness apps. YogaYak tells you where to find more than 200 free yoga classes, Nike Training Club offers more than 100 free workouts, and MyFitnessPal counts calories.
9. Join a fitness program. The SilverSneakers program is offered under many Medicare plans. Ask your health insurer if it offers gym membership discounts.
Also of Interest
- Consumer spending mistakes and regrets
- Fitness fads that boomers loved and left
- Find great volunteer opportunities in your community
Join AARP Today — Receive access to exclusive information, benefits and discounts
Next ArticleRead This