This and Related Reports
- Full 2003 Report (PDF, 3.2 MB)
- 2003 National Summary (PDF, 160 KB)
- 2003 Tables, U.S. Maps, and Data Sources (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- 2008 State Handbook of Economic, Demographic and Fiscal Indicators
- 2006 State Handbook of Economic, Demographic and Fiscal Indicators
- The State Economic, Demographic, and Fiscal Handbook 2000
For anyone in search of up-to-date information about state economic, demographic, and fiscal conditions, the fifth edition of the biennial AARP Public Policy Institute compilation by David Baer is an easy-to-use reference. Policymakers, public officials, and policy analysts will find useful data on such topics as population, poverty rates, per capita state personal income, state and local revenues, expenditures, tax rates, and property tax relief programs.
State and national comparisons distinguish this handbook from other reference books - as do the 10-year comparisons and average annual growth rates for a number of important indicators. Gender and age comparisons are provided for some of the data.
The 2003 compilation is divided into three sections:
- First, a state summary section, featuring summary descriptions of each state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and the entire United States
- Second, selected state economic, demographic, and fiscal data in separate tables and maps
- Third, source notes and explanations describing data sources and defining appropriate concepts or terms
State and Territory Reports (PDF)
Written by David Baer, AARP Public Policy Institute
All rights are reserved and content may be reproduced, downloaded, disseminated, or transferred, for single use, or by nonprofit organizations for educational purposes, if correct attribution is made to AARP.
Public Policy Institute, AARP, 601 E Street, NW, Washington, DC 20049