Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Take the new AARP Smart Driver Course!
Here are four facts about bartering that the IRS wants small business owners to be aware of:
1. Barter Exchange A barter exchange functions primarily as the organizer of a marketplace where members buy and sell products and services among themselves. Whether this activity operates out of a physical office or is internet based, a barter exchange is generally required to issue Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions, annually to their clients or members and to the IRS.
2. Barter Income Barter dollars or trade dollars are identical to real dollars for tax reporting. If you conduct any direct barter - barter for another’s products or services - you will have to report the fair market value of the products or services you received on your tax return.
3. Taxes Income from bartering is taxable in the year it is performed. Bartering may result in liabilities for income tax, self-employment tax, employment tax, or excise tax. Your barter activities may result in ordinary business income, capital gains or capital losses, or you may have a nondeductible personal loss.
4. Reporting The rules for reporting barter transactions may vary depending on which form of bartering takes place. Generally, you report this type of business income on Form 1040, Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business, or other business returns such as Form 1065 for Partnerships, Form 1120 for Corporations, or Form 1120-S for Small Business Corporations.
Sid Kirchheimer | Consumer Expert
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.
Info on saving for education from AARP® College Savings Solutions from TIAA-CREF.
Credit safeguards with AARP® Credit and Identity Theft Protection from TrustedID®.
Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.