1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
ALL AARP.ORG USERS SHOULD CONSULT THEIR OWN TAX ADVISERS OR FINANCIAL PLANNERS FOR ANY SPECIFIC FINANCIAL ISSUES
2. Am I Eligible to Participate? The AARP "Savings Challenge" Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are 21 years or older at the time of entry and who are registered and participating in the Savings Challenge. Employees of AARP, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or to win. The term "immediate family members" includes spouses, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren. If you have won one of the top 3 prizes in an AARP online community contest within the past four years, you are not eligible for an overall prize.
3. How Do I Enter? The Contest will begin on Oct. 1, 2012, and end at 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Oct. 28, 2012 (the "Contest Period"). To enter, you must (a) register online to join the Savings Challenge community group during the Contest Period; (b) use the Savings Tracker Tool and affirmatively agree to enter the Contest; and then (c) post entries on The Savings Challenge community page throughout the Contest Period. Be sure to complete all of the required information and follow instructions for submitting your registration. All entries and posts must be received by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on October 28, 2012. Maximum one (1) registration per person. Posts may not contain material that is sexually explicit, disparaging, libelous, indecent, obscene or otherwise inappropriate, as determined by Sponsor and Judges in their sole discretion. The use of automated entries or programs or entries submitted by third parties is prohibited and such entries will be disqualified. To be eligible for a weekly prize you must post on the community during such week. All entries will become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt and publish any or all of the Contest posts and may use them in any media without attribution or compensation to the entrant or any other person or entity. Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind. All entries become property of Sponsor and none will be returned.
4. What Could I Win? Weekly Prize: Each weekly prize winner will win one (1) prize. At the sole discretion of the Judge (as defined below), such prize will be either Jeff Yeager's book entitled "The Cheapskate Next Door" (approximate retail value ("ARV" ) $12.99), Julie Jason's book entitled "The AARP Retirement Survival Guide" (ARV $14.95) , Jeff Yeager's e-book "Don't Throw That Away" (ARV $5.99). Please note: To be eligible for a weekly prize you must post on the community during the previous week. For example, to be eligible for the Oct. 8 selection, you must post during the week of Oct. 1-7.
(3) Overall Final Prizes: At the end of the Contest Period, the Judge will select a 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place winner. The 1st place winner will receive one (1) $2,000 cash card, the 2nd place winner will receive one (1) $1000 cash card, and the 3rd place winner will receive one (1) $500 cash card.
5. How Will the Winner Be Selected? All posts of eligible entries will be judged by Jeff Yeager (the "Judge"). Weekly Prizes: Each week (starting on or about April 2, 2012), one weekly winner will be selected based on his/her posts from the previous week in accordance with the following criteria ("Criteria"): (i) active participation in the Savings Challenge online community group (33%); (ii) creative money-saving solutions/smart purchases (33%); and (iii) capture the theme of the Savings Challenge's weekly challenge (33%). The individual with the highest overall score during such week is the potential winner.
Overall Final Prizes: On or before Oct. 28, 2012, the Judge will rank three (3) overall winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd overall) based on his/her overall scores during the Contest Period in accordance with the aforementioned Criteria. For the avoidance of doubt, a weekly prize winner is eligible to win one of the overall prizes. In the event of any ties (either weekly or final), the Judge will determine the winners by who scored the highest in the "capture the theme of the Savings Challenge's weekly challenge."
6. When Will the Winner Be Notified? Winner will be notified on or about 24 hours after the selection via e-mail and/or AARP online community message center. Sponsor's inability to reach Winner, the return of any prize notification as undeliverable and/or Winner's failure to respond to a prize notification within 48 hours may result in his/her disqualification, the forfeiture of all interest in the prize, and the selection of a substitute winner from among all remaining eligible entries.
7. What Other Terms Apply? Winner may waive his/her right to receive prize. With Sponsor's approval the Prize may be assignable. No substitutions allowed by Winner. The Prize is subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Winner is solely responsible for payment of any taxes on prizes. Winner will be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law), which must be returned within fourteen (14) days of date of personal delivery or sender's postmark. Failure to timely sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in the Winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his/her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, acceptance of a prize constitutes Winner's consent to the Sponsor's publication of his/her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation. By participating, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and Contest Judge, which shall be final in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest. In the event the fairness or proper administration of the Contest is compromised by a virus, tampering or other cause beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. All AARP.org users should seek expert financial advice and consult their own tax advisers or financial planners for any specific financial issues.
8. Who Is the Sponsor? The Contest is sponsored by AARP. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest.
9. How Can I Request the Winner's Name? For a copy of a list of winners' names, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: "Savings Challenge Contest," Office B5-610, AARP 601 E. Street, Washington, DC, 20049. Requests for a list of winners must be received by Dec. 1, 2012.
Next ArticleRead This