- There are reported significant differences in health care coverage status by race and ethnicity for the 45+ population. Among these is a relatively greater percentage of Hispanics reporting being uninsured for at least a year.
- A greater percentage of those age 45-64 report difficulties paying medical bills than do those 65 and older. The latter group, generally, is Medicare-eligible.
- A greater percentage of those age 45-64 report difficulties paying for gasoline than do those 65 and older.
- More African Americans and Hispanics report having difficulties with expenses related to housing than do Whites. More African Americans and Hispanics, relative to Whites, report havingproblems paying rent or mortgage and having problems paying for essential items such as food and utilities (like electricity, heat and the water bill).
- Fewer African Americans and Hispanics than Whites report being confident in their ability to handle potential expenses related to health care. This includes being relatively less confident than Whites in the ability to pay for a major medical illness and being relatively less confident that their savings or income is sufficient to take care of medical and living expenses in retirement.
- A greater percentage of those age 45-64 report that a lack of practical and convenient public transportation options is a problem in their community than do those 65 or older.
You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”Manage Alerts
The Cheap Life
Discounts & Benefits
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Exclusive annuities for members from AARP Lifetime Income Program from New York Life.
Members can get cash back rewards on purchases with the AARP® Credit Card from Chase.
AARP® Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford offers members no-cost quotes.
Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.
Rewards for Good
Your Points Balance:
Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.
Featured ways to earn points:
Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.