After the endorsement of the action plan, the next phase is implementation, which is when the community commits to moving forward.
At the five-year mark the community is required to submit a progress report using the indicators that had been developed in the action plan. This process leads to a cycle of continuous improvement. As the action plan priorities are accomplished, new ones are identified and form the basis for additional planning and implementation.
Evaluation becomes an ongoing process as well, demonstrating progress against the baseline assessments previously identified. Evaluation helps determine ways to improve the action plan and demonstrate whether the strategies and action items are meeting the intended outcomes.
- Age-Friendly London Task Force Three-Year Implementation Plan (PDF)
- Aging Well Network: Ireland’s Age-Friendly Cities and Counties Programme (PDF)
- Age-Friendly Kilkenny, Ireland (Video)
- AARP Public Policy Institute: Livable Communities: Policy
Next Step: Evaluation. »
- The Member List: See the current roster of enrolled communities in the United States as well as their action plans and other information
- Preparing the Membership Materials: Find the membership application, sample letters of commitment, resolutions and more
- AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities Program Cycle: Download a visual overview of the program’s steps and elements
- AARP Age-Friendly Resource Guide: A selection of key resources to support age-friendly communities through all stages of the program cycle
- World Health Organization Guide to Age-Friendly Cities: Download this 82 page guide for a deep dive into the program
- Age-Friendly Foundations: These funding organizations are helping make communities more livable
- Evaluating Your Age-Friendly Community Program: A Step-by-Step Guide: Download this resource when you reach Phase 4
THE ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Each fall, AARP Livable Communities hosts an age-friendly conference of community representatives and AARP staff. Download the presentations and materials from each of our annual learning events: