The resources listed below are about bicycle-, pedestrian- and public transportation-friendly communities and initiatives. Since discussions about sidewalks and bike lanes and similar features are also important to Complete Streets (also called Safe Streets) programs, you can find related information in the Complete Streets archive.
The information is presented in reverse chronological order by the source material's publication or release date and includes reports, case studies, tool kits and more.
If you have suggestions for resources to add to this collection, let us know by emailing aarp.org/livable.
- See our other Livable Communities archives
- Dangerous by Design 2014, Smart Growth American, National Complete Streets Coalition and AARP
- Livability Fact Sheet: Modern Roundabouts, AARP and the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute
- Livability Fact Sheet: Road Diets, AARP and the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute
- Livability Fact Sheet: Parking, AARP and the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute
- Livability Fact Sheet: Traffic Calming, AARP and the Walkable and Livable Communities Institute
- Video: Rural Transit Connects, AARP
- Millennials and Mobility, by the American Public Transportation Association
- Funding Rural Public Transit, AARP
- Health Care and Transportation in Rural Communities, AARP
- Meeting Older Adults Mobility Needs: Transportation Planning and Coordination in Rural Communities, AARP
- Transit’s Role in Livable Rural Communities, AARP
- Non-Motorized Transportation Pilot Program Report to Congress, Federal Highway Administration
- Stuck at Home: How Cuts to Public Transit Disproportionately Hurt Seniors and Low-Income New Yorkers, AARP and the Tri-State Transportation Campaign
- King County Metro Transit: Five-year Implementation Plan, King County Metro
- Meeting Older Adults’ Mobility Needs: Additional Rural Transportation Options, AARP
- Mobility and Aging: Transference to Transportation, Thomas R. Prohaska, et al.
- Taxis for Senior Transportation, National Center on Senior Transportation
- Transit Access Project, Meeting the Challenge, Inc.
- Transportation Planning Options for Elderly Mobililty, Holly Chase, MIT, et al.
- Linking Transportation and Housing Solutions for Older Adults, AARP
- Getting From Here to There in Dallas County, TX: A Transportation Survey of AARP Members, AARP, Community Transportation Network
- Smart Mobility for a 21st Century America,Transportation for America, et al.
- Funding the Public Transportation Needs of an Aging Population, American Public Transportation Association
- Transportation Use and Options of Midlife and Older Adults, AARP
- New Jersey Department of Transportation: Safe Streets to Transit Program, NJ Department of Transportation
- Colorado Transportation Survey, by AARP
- Utah Transportation Survey Aging and Mobility, AARP
- Improving Service for the Transportation Disadvantaged, Federal Highway and Transit Administrations
- Texas Member Transportation Survey, by AARP
- Choices for Mobility Independence: Transportation Options for Older Adults, National Center for Senior Transportation
- Livability in Transportation Guidebook: Planning Approaches that Promote Livability, Department of Transportation
- One Call, One Click: Transportation Services Tool Kit, United We Ride
- Transportation and Health Tool Kit, American Public Health Association
- Benefits of Public Transportation: Expanding the Transportation Options in an Aging Society, American Public Transportation Association, et al
- Everyone Rides: Transportation Access for Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Elders, National Center on Senior Transportation
- Sustainable Transportation in Small and Rural Communities
- The Transportation Prescription, The Prevention Institute
- Healthy Equitable Transportation Policy Research and Recommendations, Convergence Partnership
- Transportation, Economic Opportunity, and America’s Future, Transportation for America
- (Video) Transit-Oriented Development: The Return on Investment, David Taylor, Senior VP of Sustainable Transportation Solutions