Get free help preparing your taxes from AARP Foundation Tax-Aide. Find a location

Introducing RealPad

The tablet with free 24/7 customer support. Learn More

Celebrate Black Life, History, and Culture!



You Could Choose Your Dream Vacation



Renew for 3 and attend Life at 50+ for free



Life at 50+ - Discover. Engage. Enjoy.





Life at 50+ - Register for the Digital Experience



Happy African American couple







AARP Auto Buying Program



AARP Staying Sharp: Keep Your Brain Healthy






Military and Veterans Discount




New Book

Dating After 50: How to get back in the game

Dating After 50 For Dummies

Contests and

AARP’s Superstar
2015 Contest

Sing for a chance to win $5,000! Enter AARP’s Superstar 2015 Contest!
See official rules


Sign up now for an upcoming webinar or find materials from a past session.


Home & Community Webinars

Family & Caregiving Webinars

Popular Articles



AARP Games - Play Now!

Poll: Are You a Real Techie?

Facing a Surprise Rent Hike? Ask A Lawyer

Question: I just received a notice from my landlord that he has filed a hardship petition and intends to double my rent. What should I do?

Your first step is definitely to request legal advice. Hardship petitions involve complex legal and accounting issues that may be unwise to tackle on your own. Below is a synopsis of the issues involved and some recommendations for assistance.

District of Columbia housing providers are permitted to file rent ceiling adjustments or “hardship petitions” with the Rent Administrator, provided they have not filed a hardship petition – or a rent increase – in the past nine months. Current law allows them not only to request a rent increase that will provide a 12 percent return, but to charge current renters the proposed higher rent while they await the Rent Administrator’s decision. So yes, it is possible that your landlord could legally – and immediately -- double your rent.

The District Council is considering legislation call the “Rent Increase Amendment Act of 2010 (Bill 18-548) that would prohibit housing providers from raising the rent before a hardship petition has been approved by the Rent Administrator, but there is no prospect for immediate relief.

That said, certain tenants may be able to fight hardship petitions by filing petitions of their own with the Department of Housing and Community Development. For instance, tenants whose apartments have serious repair issues, known as housing code violations, cannot be asked to pay higher rent while these problems exist. And low income tenants who are elderly or have disabilities receive special protections under DC rent control statutes that may limit the amount their rent can be increased.

The key to determining your own best options is, again, to get good legal assistance. If you are 60 or over, contact the AARP Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE) Hotline at 202-434-2120. If you are under 60, call Bread for the City at 202-265-2400 or the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia at 202-628-1161.


Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts


Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

membership ancestry

Members save 30% on  a one-year subscription to

Grocery Coupon Center

Members can print savings coupons at the Grocery Coupon Center powered by

Member Benefits Discounts Angie's List

Members can save 25% to 45% on their Angie's List membership.

Member Benefits

Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.