4. Watch Your Back
- Squat with one knee on the ground, rather than bending at the waist.
- Switch knees every couple of minutes.
- When lifting, keep your back straight and bend at your knees. Be careful not to twist your body.
5. Walk Tall
- Avoid strain by keeping your back straight rather than bending forward at the waist when pushing a mower or rototiller.
6. Mind Your Posture
- Don’t lean forward or backward, and be careful not to twist your body.
7. Take Breaks
- Take a rest between tasks or during activities. Gently stretch the muscles you’ve been using during your breaks to relieve tension.
8. Follow Instructions
- Take time to read instructions before using lawn chemicals or gardening equipment.
- Safely store chemicals and power tools far away from untrained hands.
Gardening is one of life’s great pleasures. Relax your mind, exercise your body, then sit back and let your senses take in all the beauty you helped nature create.