Party: a social gathering that includes refreshments and conversation
1. a social gathering that includes the above, plus gathering intelligence on which single guests are available — and which married ones are about to become so
2. a social gathering that makes people without partners:
- wish they were somewhere else — anywhere else
- truly sorry they dumped their spouses
Rejection: a refusal to accept something offered
1. an invitation to take a flying leap (can be issued anywhere from at first sight to years down the pike)
2. any form of public humiliation, put-down or abuse (all are bright-red flags)
The two main types of rejection are:
- disappearing without a word
- disappearing during dinner, a conversation or in bed
- a look that lacks warmth
- a lack of interest in closeness
- a lock that's been changed
- rushing around collecting all the CDs, underwear or whatever else you left at his or her place
- "It's not you, it's me"
- "I need space"
- "I need time"
- "I need a spreadsheet to figure this out"
- "I hope we can still be friends" (Ouch.)
Retread: to make over or try again
Per Nancy: trying once more because:
- the other person is available again
- the other person is still available
- after other dates and relationships, you've realized that, in the grand scheme of things, the other person isn't such a creep
- you've grown weary of the grand scheme of things
Space: an interval of time
1. an interval of time, preferably forever;
2. a living area for an ex, preferably in another state or on a different planet
Keeper: any person with whom you click, fit, wish to build a relationship and possibly even marry
Per Nancy: my second husband, Jonathan, whom I met online at 60 after decades of dating
Also of Interest
See the AARP home page for deals, savings tips, trivia and more